today > yesterday

Today went a lot better than yesterday.

Yesterday, after the bombardment of different, well, everything, I nestled into Jess' shoulder while we stood on the corner of a street in Oxford and I began to sob.

I'm not even entirely sure it was the shock of everything that upset me.  I think it was the sudden realization that everything foreign to me in that moment would eventually become comfortable... would become normal... and would ultimately out shadow everything I'd fallen in love with about my life over the last year.

This isn't a vacation.  It's my life.

I'm still in the process of getting everything I need;  You know, the stupid shit that you don't even think of until you go to grab for it... bath towels, garbage bags, pillows, Heinz ketchup...

We've walked into the city centre four times now.  Each time it seems a little closer.  It's about 25 minutes.  I could get a bus pass but there's no way in hell my ass would get any smaller by resorting to that route.  I'll suck it up and enjoy the walk, embracing my new home as positively and enthusiastically as I can.

A grocery store is only about a four minute walk away... followed by everything else I could possibly need.  Jess and I ate at this very cute fish and chip shop close by with the friendliest people and tastiest comfort food.  We both agreed we'd stop by again before he flies back to Nova Scotia.

It's been rainy and damp but that was to be expected.  I need to invest in an inexpensive rain jacket.  I've been budgeting the little bit of cash I brought over with me to get me through until I can set up a bank account.  The cash stays hidden in one of many Kraft Dinner boxes on my shelf.

We have my room pretty well set up now.  I have to give Jesse most of the credit.  While I was blaming my exhaustion on jet lag and trying to stealthily sneak in a nap, he was unpacking and organizing my junk.

So, while yesterday ended in a few stressful tears... today ended with a few glasses of wine with my new flatmates and Heinz ketchup stocked in my kitchen.

Today went a lot better than yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea,I look forward to the daily updates, I even have it saved in my "favorites" Glad your starting to settle in. I know there will be tears when Jesse leaves to come back home, but before you know it it will be time for his second visit.When does classes start? Love you both, enjoy your next few days together <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete