Coffee and Oxford at nighttime.

I enjoy Oxford a lot better at night time... when the streets aren't polluted with people and it's not a nightmare of a game trying to quickly weave through an obstacle course I didn't sign up to play.  Street lamps softly light up the streets and glow onto the couples holding hands, hibernating during the day until the stress of the streets winds down.  I walk just for the sake of walking at nighttime. I stride without purpose.  I take time to look into the window fronts of shops I'm too busy to observe during the day.  I don't mind getting lost at nighttime.  I walk down streets I've never noticed and discover new routes to where I tend to go during the day.

Oxford seems to be saturated with drunken university students which is a scene I graduated away from a long time ago.  It's also a great place to indulge in a little retail therapy which is unfortunate for me because I don't have money to frivolously spend.

I do, when I scrounge up enough change, indulge in a medium sized Americano.  I'll either sit in a coffee shop closely stitched to a window, watching the faces go by, or I'll walk around the streets with it, my name Sharpied on the side.  It's becoming a routine.  Coffee and Oxford at nighttime.  It's my escape from the chaos that exists during the day... being bombarded by the numbing scheduled routines of goers, mapping out their routes on their iPhones, getting my head around and trying to comprehend the days' metaphysics that makes up the majority of my Masters program, and the reality of wishing I had my partner to shield me from the stress of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment